Warren Oates 5:
1) Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia – Director: Sam Peckinpah
Oates’ perpetual loser takes a journey to hell on a search for riches and redemption.
2) Cockfighter – Director: Monte Hellman
Hellman and Oates invite you into the willfully stubborn mind of a man who forsakes love for a misplaced and misguided sense of honour.
3) Two-Lane Blacktop – Director: Monte Hellman
Oates at his most captivatingly beautiful. A cashmere bedecked bullshitter with no map nor purpose but a lust for drama and adventure.
4) Race With The Devil – Director: Jack Starrett
Motor bikes, motor homes, devil worshippers, Peter Fonda and the man. Laconic boy racer defies the world to challenge his mid-life crisis.
5) The Hired Hand – Director: Peter Fonda
Oates is the dependable best friend. The kind of man you would lay down your life for. Oates’ undimmed charisma may never fail to shine through but his quiet, unfussy performance is a beautifully understated gem in his filmography.